ahoy

Introduce yourself to the Godot Community Forums.
megalomaniak

A once upon a time accidental admin of the old forums. :roll:
stayathomedev
Site Admin

Accidental?

What's the story there?
Tomcat

stayathomedev wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:06 am Accidental?

What's the story there?
This is the moderator of the old forum. Without his direct approval, the rights to the forum could not be transferred to the character who quickly closed that forum.

He's a big Godot expert. The fact that he is here means that this forum is taken extremely seriously and has very good prospects.

There is an old Russian saying:
Whoever mentions old things — to him an eye out. And whoever forgets — to both.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
DaveTheCoder

I found the big announcement:
https://godotforums.org/d/33124-big-forum-announcements

I'm still hopeful that the old forum will return, possibly under new management. There's a lot of good stuff there.
doctorbllk

DaveTheCoder wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:50 pm I found the big announcement:

I'm still hopeful that the old forum will return, possibly under new management. There's a lot of good stuff there.
I was somehow unfamiliar with this forum, I spent more time over at ask.godotengine.org. How unfortunate for an individual to make such unnecessary statements about the project as a whole, and Juan. At the very least, big thanks to StayAtHomeDev for building this platform. Godot isn't perfect by any means, but big yikes at the drama started in all this.
megalomaniak

DaveTheCoder wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:50 pm I found the big announcement:

So as to avoid confusions, I was admin before Twisted. Remained on as a helping hand with some janitor work once Twisted took over.
edit: actually full disclosure, there was one other temporary admin between me and TwistedTwigleg, BinaryOrange but they didn't stay on for too long. The longest stretch of stability was under Twisted.
stayathomedev wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:06 am Accidental?

What's the story there?
In around 2017 I helped save the forum when the then Admin, a uni student forgot to renew their hosting subscription. They were busy with finals and such, understandably busy with something important. Can't fault them. But the end result was them announcing on friday that the forums would go down by monday.

After saying 'oh well, what a shame' I realized I had a professional web dev friend with a server I could inquire about so I asked and they okayed the idea of temporarily hosting it for us. I wasn't looking to become an admin but someone had to so the previous admin assigned me as the next admin. I never actually had access to the server backend tho. Then in 2018ish with my friend I handed it over to the next admin.