Crashes

Post any engine-related development questions or issues you are having to receive advice, support, or help.
Azo

I would like to take advantage of this forum being new and ask for some help regarding the 4.x release.

Ever since 4.0(Steam release), the engine crashes quite regularly. I have downloaded and tried using the version directly from the website, with luck, but was wondering if anyone else was having issues with the Steam version.

It is too soon to say that the website version is crash free, as I have only been using it for a days on and off, but so far it, is already fairing better than the Steam version.
My Rig:

MB - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CPU - FX-8350 Black Edition 4.0Ghz
RAM - 16GB Rip G.SKILL RipJaws
GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
PSU - CORSAIR RM Series 1000w
COOLING - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
Qwerty

Azo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:07 am It is too soon to say that the website version is crash free, as I have only been using it for a days on and off, but so far it, is already fairing better than the Steam version.
What do you mean "website version"? Like did you install it from https://godotengine.org/?
Qwerty
stayathomedev
Site Admin

I've not encountered any crashes myself. Were they connected in any way?

The HDR image pause happens for me quite a bit.

Other than importing too large a blender file, I've not had that experience.
Azo

Qwerty wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:23 am
Azo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:07 am It is too soon to say that the website version is crash free, as I have only been using it for a days on and off, but so far it, is already fairing better than the Steam version.
What do you mean "website version"? Like did you install it from https://godotengine.org/?
Yes. And I'm not sure if they are related. It seems to simply be random.
My Rig:

GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
Ace Dragon

I am not sure what the build revision for the Steam version is, all I know is that the engine is easy enough to just grab from the website to run in a folder you make for it. It could be the build off the main website runs better because it is the latest 4.0 patch release,
Azo

Ace Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:55 am I am not sure what the build revision for the Steam version is, all I know is that the engine is easy enough to just grab from the website to run in a folder you make for it. It could be the build off the main website runs better because it is the latest 4.0 patch release,
Possibly. I'm wondering if it's a problem on Steam's end. Because when it happens, I have to shut steam all the way down in order to reboot Godot, because it believes Godot is still running.
My Rig:

GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
EricRogerGarcia

Hello,
I was about to open a new topic for this !

I have the same problem.
Godot crashes 3 times out of 4 when I try to open a project. If I try to run it from the list projects it works fine.
Problem with 4.1 and 4.1.1.
downloaded from the official website
On Linux Mint (from Ubuntu).

Is it the same problem on Windows and MacOS ?
Azo

EricRogerGarcia wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:45 am Hello,
I was about to open a new topic for this !

I have the same problem.
Godot crashes 3 times out of 4 when I try to open a project. If I try to run it from the list projects it works fine.
Problem with 4.1 and 4.1.1.
downloaded from the official website
On Linux Mint (from Ubuntu).

Is it the same problem on Windows and MacOS ?
I cannot say whether or not mine crashes for the same reason. Usually it is already in a project when it happens, and if I had to make any connection, it tends to happen when the file manager is updating. For example, if I add new files to the project while it is running, it will crash 50% of the time.

It will crash about 25% of the time when I play test a scene, especially if it is 3D.

I personally believe that, on my end, it is a Steam issue. I will continue to use the version from the direct website and update whether or not I continue to have these issues.
My Rig:

GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
TheArduinoGuy

Download the latest image directly from the Godot website. Don't do it via Steam.
stayathomedev
Site Admin

TheArduinoGuy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:30 am Download the latest image directly from the Godot website. Don't do it via Steam.
Will second this only because you can ensure you are using the most up-to-date version. Using multiple versions of Godot is so easy because it's basically portable. I've got 5-6 versions on my desktop to switch between for testing at any given time.

Regarding the Linux situation...I'm not a Linux guy or on Linux. Submitting a report or checking recent reports for that version might shed some light?