Gaiseric

Introduce yourself to the Godot Community Forums.
Gaiseric

Hey everyone, was never a member of the old forums as I just recently decided to jump ship and start working with Godot over Unity with 4.0 out here in the wild and the improved C# support. Looking forward to picking up some good info along the way, and at some point maybe even being able to provide a little help to others myself
stayathomedev
Site Admin

Gaiseric wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:47 am Hey everyone, was never a member of the old forums as I just recently decided to jump ship and start working with Godot over Unity with 4.0 out here in the wild and the improved C# support. Looking forward to picking up some good info along the way, and at some point maybe even being able to provide a little help to others myself
Welcome! Were there any other reasons for the switch? Just curious.
Gaiseric

stayathomedev wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:17 pm
Gaiseric wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:47 am Hey everyone, was never a member of the old forums as I just recently decided to jump ship and start working with Godot over Unity with 4.0 out here in the wild and the improved C# support. Looking forward to picking up some good info along the way, and at some point maybe even being able to provide a little help to others myself
Welcome! Were there any other reasons for the switch? Just curious.
Honestly just got sick of having to constantly fight with a bunch of poorly integrated features, seems like everything that gets added in these days is just a plugin from the asset store that someone else wrote and they decided to buy and "integrate" into the base engine. I had played around with Godot a little bit back in the early 3.0 days but I was always turned off by the proprietary GDScript and weak 3D capabilities. Loved the idea of it, just couldn't get past those negatives but kept checking up on the progress here and there then when I saw what 4 brought to the table I figured I'd give it another shot. Within a few nights of porting over the basic stuff from a project I'd been working on in Unity and seeing how much more clean and logical the engine is as a whole I was all in. The blender integration really blew my mind once I set it up as well, I don't even want to think of how much time was wasted on having to work on a model, export a .blend file and then go through the whole export and import process again when you realized something wasn't quite right once you had imported it to Unity.
stayathomedev
Site Admin

The blender 'connection' is pretty cool to work within baring any extremely complex blenders setups. Definitely nice to just make an adjustment in blender, save and have it show up in Godot.

The import workflow otherwise within Godot is not as straightforward as I'd like. But you get used to it and it makes sense.