What happed with the old godot forum ?

Talk anything unrelated to the Godot Engine
megalomaniak

Tomcat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:13 am All that's missing is the ability to make a thread with limited access.
If you mean private messages, it's found via the little chat bubble icon at the bottom of the use info side of the post, where the avatar and user name are. You can add multiple recipients.
Tomcat

megalomaniak wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:58 pm You can add multiple recipients.
I guess it's not quite the same… will the replies of participants be visible to all other participants of private correspondence? Like this.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
Tomcat

I can't add to/reply to DaveTheCoder in PM
Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
DaveTheCoder

Sorry, I had PM's turned off in my user control panel. Please try again.
megalomaniak

Tomcat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:05 pm
megalomaniak wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:58 pm You can add multiple recipients.
I guess it's not quite the same… will the replies of participants be visible to all other participants of private correspondence? Like this.
No, it works more like email.
stayathomedev
Site Admin

Tomcat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:13 am I'm more comfortable with the classic layout here. All that's missing is the ability to make a thread with limited access.
I'll check on the thread access feature.
Owen Lloyd

I really hope this forum stays and grows. I won't be using the other board, regardless. Trust is gone.

(My understanding is that one person with some stature made a frivolous claim re scamming and had a knee-jerk reaction, shutting down the board and leaving many in limbo. That individual later said it was not about financial scamming but more about emotional scamming, wtf? According to BerryDev, who made the scam vid, it seems they later regretted their actions. Whoopee. Fortunately it did not escalate but the potential was there. That could have had a financial cost. Sheesh.)

That individual may no longer be controlling things (but who knows what is said and done behind the scenes) however by association the board is no longer trustworthy.

So crossing fingers this stays.
megalomaniak

Owen Lloyd wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:18 pm That individual may no longer be controlling things (but who knows what is said and done behind the scenes) however by association the board is no longer trustworthy.
Nothing was said behind the scenes, the closing came as a surprise to those of us on moderation and administration as the rest. And the same can happen here too, technically. In effect there's a single entity in charge of the forum back-end here too. If you really want to avoid risk then the optimal course is to probably be on both bulletin boards.
Haystack

I have zero knowledge of what went on behind the scenes, but I've worked for several startups over the years, and what happened with Andres felt very familiar. Software startups attract coders who are 'true believers' . But typically the startup management has to eventually jettison the original mission for something that pays the bills, and this breaks the heart and spirit of the people who truly believed in the original mission. They feel betrayed and foolish.
There's a needle of wisdom in here somewhere...
Steban

SweetIce wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:54 am
DaveTheCoder wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:42 am
And I have some vague suspicions…
I think I understand, but I'll keep an open mind for now.
Me too... I am very desapointed with godot comunity to be honest, I am waiting to see a new independent branch moving to another engine name or something, that or going back to unit or other engine, the way it is dosent work for me.
Haystack wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:00 am I have zero knowledge of what went on behind the scenes, but I've worked for several startups over the years, and what happened with Andres felt very familiar. Software startups attract coders who are 'true believers' . But typically the startup management has to eventually jettison the original mission for something that pays the bills, and this breaks the heart and spirit of the people who truly believed in the original mission. They feel betrayed and foolish.
I can't believe what's become of Godot lately. It's like a shit story of betrayal unfolding right before our eyes. It's inevitable, mark my words, that a hard fork of Godot is coming. And sure, there are already a handful of Godot forks out there, but they feel more like lone cries of frustration. Take the Goblin Engine for instance. They've even gone as far as crafting their own logo, as if to cut all ties from the original project.

What's really striking is how folks are clutching tightly to the Godot 3.x, while reluctant to adopt Godot 4.x due to numerous bugs and limitations that are yet to be fixed. Can you blame them? The path Godot's taken now feels like a heartbreaking betrayal of the very souls who breathed life into it. Let's be real, Godot's survival rests heavily on the shoulders of its dedicated contributors. If this isn't some scam, then it's a downright catastrophe in terms of project magagement.

Oh, and get this: there's this guy who's been branding Godot as a cult, would you believe it? He even wrote an entire book Waiting for Blue Robot. Initially, I brushed him off as a schizo. But with cybereality's allegations of a Godot being involved in a scam, the pieces start to click. This "prophet" of Godot actually predicted the drama, making you wonder if more drama is lurking around the corner.

When a project attracts this much turmoil, and the community defensively rallies against allegations that tiptoe the line of conspiracy theories, it's almost as if they fear that a mere controversy could crumble Godot into oblivion. Makes you question whether it's wise to keep investing faith in this venture. Unity gets even more shit than Godot, but it doesn't throw up these defensive walls like Godot does. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

And I'm extremely frustrated now, because I asked about this situation at Godot Contributors Chat. Guess what? They deleted my account, apparently purging all messages that I've had on this topic... I then created another account, under a different name, asking the same questions, then they deleted my account again, they said "for attempting to circumvent a previous ban by creating a new account". How the heck do they know this? This isn't just censorship. It's like they're sculpting reality to match their own narrative. It's a betrayal of trust, a slap in the face to anyone who genuinely cares about the direction of the project.

I mean, if you don't believe me, go and share the Waiting for Blue Robot written by that guy, either at Godot's Discord or Godot Contributors Chat. Don't just share it, ask legitimate questions. I assure you, they will eventually ban you.

By the way, the original thread by cybereality is deleted by the new forum owner now, it's available via web archive though.

Reminds me of that whole Rust drama with the emergence of CrabLang. A community's cry of "that's enough" in the face of a project's questionable leadership decisions.