how you make a good name to a game?

Talk anything unrelated to the Godot Engine
dumbOldMan

I usually combined two words like educazone for example, but if the name already exist, i use google translate and use it to translate those words and combine it.
BugoManGudKo > ImReallySoDumb > DumbOldMan :? :? :cry: :?:
Owen Lloyd

This is a great question and something I am 'angsting' over right now.

Trying to think of something that will catch the eye as potential users browse a plethora of game titles; that avoids legal complications; that does not mislead about game type; that avoids offending; that is not too long; that ...

lol

learning to code is simpler!
duane

I agree. Making the game is the easy part. Naming, advertising, selling, etc. is much more difficult. Of course that makes sense, since I want to be a programmer, not an artist or advertising executive.
PotatoWithComputer

duane wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:47 am since I want to be a programmer, not an artist or advertising executive.
YES! making the game is more easy than advertise or publish! i know almost nothing about how to make others see your project... i got some tips but... execute them is the hard thing...
Facts about me:

1. my english still a work in process
2. im a potato
jep

programmers always sucks at naming things :lol:
Owen Lloyd

jep wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:58 pm programmers always sucks at naming things :lol:
I tried to call my dog spot but it was already taken.
Karlsson

One tip is to make any working name that more or less describes the game, so it doesn't prevent you from actually working on the game.

Like if you were the first one making Tetris you would first call it FallingBlockFittingGame, then when you have a functional version of the game you have more insight and and it will be easier to make a fitting name as you've had the thought in the back of your mind for a long time.

A game with a story would be called something about the story, `Blocks: The fall of L`. A game with a custom sport would maybe be called Balls of Water. If you have some close friends alpha testing and such they might give some ideas during that time too.

These names are much easier to come up with when you're pretty far along the path to release your first alpha/beta/earlyaccess version.

TL;DR; Don't start your development with a name. You'll come up with one when you're far along your journey.
Tomcat

Karlsson wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 am One tip is to make any working name that more or less describes the game, so it doesn't prevent you from actually working on the game.
I tried to name my project using a similar principle. I got the following: "Socio-economic constructor-simulator" — SEC[K]S… probably not a very ideal name for a game intended for children as well.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
Karlsson

Tomcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:56 pm
Karlsson wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 am One tip is to make any working name that more or less describes the game, so it doesn't prevent you from actually working on the game.
I tried to name my project using a similar principle. I got the following: "Socio-economic constructor-simulator" — SEC[K]S… probably not a very ideal name for a game intended for children as well.
It doesn't matter when it's just a working title, you'll find a better name while working on it.
Tomcat

Karlsson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:41 am you'll find a better name while working on it.
In fact, I've already come up with a title. So you could say that half the game is done. 8-) I stuck to the principle I mentioned earlier and used an old Slavic word.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.