Creating a character for games in Godot using MakeHuman

Share any helpful tutorials or guidance related to the Godot Engine or game development.
Tomcat

— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
stayathomedev
Site Admin

Nice! Very detailed.

Did you ever try 4.0 import again?
Tomcat

stayathomedev wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:04 amDid you ever try 4.0 import again?
Yeah, this methodology works with Godot 4. Only it is desirable to use glTF to transfer models to the engine from Blender. Although it could have been fixed by now.

There are problems when transferring textures from Blender to the engine. Godot does not understand shaders and transparent materials.

There are several workarounds:
  1. Assign textures in the engine.
  2. Use the outdated mhx2 format when using a separate MakeHuman program for the transfer. It transfers textures by picture.
  3. When using MPHB2 when customizing a character, choose a simple texture.
    The easiest way is to not use the procedural skin. Instead, you can use a standard diffuse texture setup. In "apply assets" -> "library settings" -> "skin" there is a dropdown where you can select "standard material" before loading a skin. This material will not contain any procedural effects…
The most radical way is to make a character generator for Godot, based on MakeHuman, as an asset. I'm currently looking into this possibility.
— Who's your enemy?
— The whole world.
— Who's your friend?
— The cat.
stayathomedev
Site Admin

I see....an asset would be a great addition.

I've not tested more complicated Blender -> Godot imports beyond standard material setups. Will have to dig into it.